Saturday, August 30, 2008

Childbirth

It was exactly 33 years ago right now that I was laying in a hospital bed holding my newborn baby for her very first feeding. We had checked in about 1:30 and were only there a couple hours when she graced us with her presence, with her perfect little head and adorable little face. How vivid and special those memories are today, all these years later.

But where did those years go? As much as I can rationally say they went to school, and piano lessons, and 4-H Club, and sports - because I remember every year quite well - I still cannot quite fathom that the tiny baby I held in my arms, so overcome with the gravity and responsibilty of it all, is now a mother herself. Life is strange in so many ways - none more than in the way it grabs us by the scruff of the neck and sends us spinning off through the ages with dizzying speed.

Today I will celebrate a special day, 33 years ago, that changed my life forever. And today I will wonder at how it all goes by so fast. A vapor, as the Bible says. Truer words were never said.

No comments: