Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Babysitting

Today is a babysitting day for me. Nothing makes me feel more middle-aged than spending time with my adorable grandkids.

I am so looking forward to spending time with them, but I know I will be tired when I leave their house. I notice how much less energy I have now than I did when my own were little ones. I used to face each day with excitement, wondering what we could all do that would be both a learning experience and fun. Maybe we would walk to the park or just explore in the back yard. And then winter was always fun because we could do all the crafts and baking projects that I enjoy so much. Raising kids was an adventure that I loved.

But now, I arrive enthusiastically thinking about what we can do in the yard but within an hour after I've arrived I am thinking about how I can get them back into the house to watch a movie or something so I can sit on the couch. Lunch is a blessing - we must go indoors! No more chasing them around the yard or pushing them on the swings. We can sit! We can relax! What happened to me?

Middle age is an adventure. Every year brings new challenges and every year brings the realization that life is changing. In fact, usually I feel the same way I did 30 years ago - young and vibrant and full of life! But then, every so often, I get called on to babysit. That's when reality sinks in....

Its a good thing I adore those children!

No comments: