Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Perspective

One of the interesting benefits of middle-age is the perspective I have attained on life and the journey it is. I can think back on so many things that have happened over the years, things that seemed so earth-shattering at the time they occurred, and realize with hindsight that none of them were as important or horrible as I thought they were at the time. Each traumatic event was HUGE when I was in the midst of them, but now, in retrospect, they were not such a big deal. So why was it that at the time it seemed as though my world was rocked and nothing would ever be the same?

I think that this is what we see in the elderly as contentment and peace. It is simply the knowledge they've acquired with age that helps them take everything with grace and calm. My mother was the very picture of grace when she was dying. Now I think I know why. We live for so many years sort of bouncing from crisis to crisis, dealing with kids and financial issues, so many really heavy things - and then we get to this point and we can see that we weathered it all, we are still here, and at the end of the day everything worked out OK.

I am trying hard to take on the peaceful presence that I observe in many of the senior members of our lives. And hopefully when the next crisis comes I will be ready with an attitude of contentment, happy in the knowledge that this too shall pass, whatever it is, and I survive. And also that God abides in us if we are open to it, bringing a peace and grace that is otherworldly to our lives.

It is a wonderful revelation.

No comments: