Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Knees

The knees are sore this morning. It's funny how you give so little thought to your body parts for so many years and then middle-age hits and suddenly it's as though they all want your attention at once. An ache here, a creak there, and new feelings and experiences all the time. What used to be taken for granted is now constantly at the forefront of our minds.

My father had bad knees and his sister had both knees replaced so it is a worry for me. Genetics is such a troublesome thing! I used to be able to bound up the stairs at home without a second thought and now I hang on to the banister for fear I can't manage to pull myself up without the extra help.

What a strange thing it is, watching as our bodies slowly deteriorate. Not that I feel as though I am wrung out and done with, but I can surely see the slow process happening and it is fascinating. For me its the knees, for others it may be shoulders or elbows, but all my friends in this age bracket have some sort of issue with joints or bones. It's the kind of thing you don't want to talk about too much because it makes you feel and sound "old", but it is always there and it makes us well aware of the years we are looking back on as opposed to forward to at this point in our lives. And it's comical to be out with friends and hear all the little groans when we all stand up to leave the dinner table.

But....my knees still work and I am still in pretty good shape so I take the warning signs as just that. I need to work on the treadmill and keep myself in physical shape as much as it is possible for me to do. And I can go a long way in that respect.

Time to get moving....

No comments: