Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New glasses

Today I was fitted for new eye glasses and it was a pretty painful process. Not only was the mirror large and close to my face, it had magnification. Now - I know that I don't look like I did 30 years ago, but I honestly had no idea it is as bad as it is. I mean, I am used to seeing myself in the bathroom mirror, standing at a nice distance of about 5 feet. Flaws are easily hidden and my increasingly poor eyesight misses a multitude of sins. But the mirror at the optometrist's office....well that was just brutal.

It was noon when I walked out of the office, and I really wanted to find the closest bar. And I don't really drink as a rule. Today it was called for.

When I was young I was often complimented on my complexion. Now I think it is a bit scary, with age spots popping up all over the place and the imperfections in my skin tone and quality are quite visible, even through make-up. It's impossible to hide it all anymore.

It would be easy to give up at this point and not bother trying anymore. If I was wealthy I might consider botox or some other cosmetic surgery, but probably not. I am not fond of needles or pain.

Then again, the pain is sometimes mental. Like when you look too closely in a big mirror and realize you're not fooling anybody anymore.

No comments: