Thursday, September 11, 2008

Memory

I wanted to call someone on the phone and I walked out to the office, picked up the phone book, and started to flip through the pages. There was one problem. I forgot who I was calling.

How is it possible to forget within 5 minutes? It scares me sometimes in this "age of Alzhiemers' because I watched my grandmother suffer with it and the my mother-in-law. I read everything I see about it in the newspapers - every new study or discovery is important and I devour every word. It is going to be the curse of my generation.

But then I am with friends and they do the same thing. "What was I going to tell you?" they say, or "Where did I leave my car keys"? It releives me a little....but still there is that doubt.

I know at the end of the day what will be will be. There is not a blessed thing I can do about it if I get it. But with middle-age comes many concerns about health and fitness and we fuss so much about the way our bodies are changing. We try to eat right and excercise and stay in good shape, but we know the clock is ticking and time inevitably moves on.

Now what was it I was talking about again?

No comments: