Thursday, November 13, 2008

New president


It occurred to me for the first time the other day that this is the first president that has been elected in my lifetime that's younger than I am. Now that is a sobering thought. I've grown accustomed to the fact that every police officer and teacher now looks about the same age as my children, but the president? I'm not sure I ever thought that would happen! Of course it helps that this president will be unusually young, and I know if the election had gone the other way I wouldn't be feeling this way, but still...where is Ronald Reagen when I need him?

I am excited about the youth that is going to be inhabiting the White House and I think it's great that young children will once again be running in those hallowed halls. But the fact that I have grandchildren nearly the age of the president's children is indeed a bit sobering.

Ah well, as my father used to say, old age is better than the alternative. I guess that's true - as long as we have our health and can enjoy life, what difference does it make how old we are? And is it not true that only an old person would say such a thing?

No comments: