Sunday, November 2, 2008

The circle of life


When my mother died my sister made a comment that I have never forgotten. She said "I really hate this whole circle of life thing!" And I did too at the time, because I just wanted my mother back. But now, I see that it is this very life cycle that makes it possible for us to welcome the next generation into our lives and bring us such overwhelming joy.

Someone told me after Mom died that as sad as it was to say goodbye to them it was necessary so there would be room for new lives to come. They were right.

At family lunch today I watched my niece with her 12 day old infant on her lap, and I listened to my grandsons run around the house with her other little boy - and I observed my children and their cousins - all sitting around the table just enjoying each other's company. I thought to myself " This circle of life thing isn't so bad, really. We just need to get used to it".

Middle age is not a bad time of life. In fact, as sad as it is to lose our parents and suddenly become the "senior" generation of the family, it's amazing to watch as not one but two new generations bloom before our eyes. They are amazing kids, all of them. And it's a wonderful thing to see them mature and become such great adults. I wish I could watch the process go on forever....

No comments: