Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mammograms


I finally got my last medical test of the year done - a little late for 2008 but still part of last year's inventory. I had my mammogram today.

Now, I'm not someone who particularly likes medical tests but I know they are a necessary part of living well. And the truth is that the older we get the more types of tests we need. Of all those tests, from blood work to bone scans, the mammogram is right up there with the ones I least look forward to. I swear, they were invented by men. And I'm also quite sure that if a similar test were developed and was the only way to screen for testicular cancer, there is not a man on earth who would have it done. But we women, bless us, march in there every year and suffer through the humiliation and discomfort of our mammogram becaue we are stoic and obedient, and we know our bodies. From the early years of gyno exams through the indignities of childbirth, we have learned to grin and bear it all. And the men really haven't got a clue.

Well - its over again, along with all my other tests, for the year. Of course, it's 2009 now. Which means it all starts again soon. I'm marking my calendar now. And if I procrastinate enough maybe I can squeeze (poor choice of word there) an extra month out of the schedule and end up finishing the rounds in February of 2010...

No comments: